Race Summary: Registration OPEN. Register HERE.
The Extreme North Dakota Watersports Endurance Test (END-WET) is a down-river marathon where solo racers will kayaks or stand-up-paddleboards (SUP for short), or teams of two will canoe between Grand Forks, ND and Oslo, MN on the fabulous Red River of the North. The race is also open to swimmers - either solo or on relay teams. The length and difficulty of the course for potential swimmers makes the event one of the longest swims in the country. There is also a 1K swim held in conjunction with the longer event.
Details: Updates via Facebook event page.
Date: July 13, 2013
- Doubles - Open/Coed in canoe or two person kayak
- Solo - Male/Female in kayak, surfski
- Solo - Male/Female on stand-up paddleboard
- Relay team (2-6 members) - swim. Relay teams provide their own support boat.
- Doubles - swim. Doubles swimmers provide their own support boat, unless otherwise organized with ENDracing.
- Solo - swim (price includes support kayaker)
- 1K exhibition swim (no seperate categories)
Registration Fees: Registration opens on Jan. 1st, 2013 and closes on thursday, July 11th (except for 1K swim), or when full.
- Boaters - $50 per person (before June 1st), $60 pp (after June 1st). Capped at 60 watercraft.
- Relay swimmers - $40 per person (before June 1st), $50 (after June 1st). Capped at 10 teams.
- Solo swimmers - $250 per person (before June 1st), $300 (after June 1st). Note - this entry fee is roughly 1/5 of what the only other swim, the manhattan island swim costs! Solo swimmers providing their own support kayaker and equipment will be able to enter at a reduced cost of $175.
- 1K exhibition swim - $15 (before July 11th), $20 on race day.
- Early packet pick up - Friday, July 12th, 2013 at Dakota Harvest. Time TBD.
- Race - Saturday, July 13th. 7 am. Start: Cabelas boat ramp, East Grand Forks. End: Oslo, Minnesota.
- Awards Ceremony - Sunday, Time TBD
Entry includes: A great race, ENDracing swag (latex caps for swimmers, buffs for paddlers, and awesome post race refreshments/beer garden, a prize pool including raffle prizes, shuttle services from/to the finish line, finisher medals for all solo swimmers.
Teams will need to provide their own team boat (motorized OK). Race organizers will provide a support boat/support person for each solo swimmer as part of the entry fee. Racers entering any of the paddle categories will need to provide all of their own equipment. There are a limited number of canoe rental possibilities in Grand Forks and nearby Crookston (30 minutes away). Beyond Crookston, the nearest rental facilities that we know of are in Fargo, just over an hour to the south. Time credits will be offered for any teams who rent canoes from Fargo and paddle them to Grand Forks on the friday before the event (: (only kidding).
Relay swimmers can swim in any order but new swimmers must enter the water up-river of the retiring swimmer and before the retiring swimmer makes contact with the support boat. No physical contact between the active swimmer and the boat is allowed. Swimmers are allowed to change out within 100 yards of any mile marker, so must swim, at minimum, one mile per rotation. River miles will be clearly marked on river LEFT.
Wetsuits are allowed for swimmers, but use will merit a distinction in the results. Water temps in mid july are typically 75+ degrees. Current speed should be roughly 0.5-1 mile per hour, give or take. Wind speed and direction will also play a significant role in how difficult the challenge ends up being on race day - so plan acordingly.
Solo Swimmers/Teams will have 13 hours to complete the swim. Safety and a course sweep will be be provided by the Grand Forks County Fire Department.
It's an ENDracing event, so you should prepare for anything!
Refund Policy: Sorry, there are no refunds of your registration fee if the race happens. and the race will happen under all weather conditions, unless the interstates are closed. In event of such severe weather, a modified course may be offered on the same day or an alternate date chosen. Registered racers unable to make the new date would be offered credit towards another ENDracing event in an amount equal to 75% of the registration cost. If the event is cancelled entirely due to weather, flood, or natural disaster, all registered racers will receive the 75% credit. In the extremely unlikely event that the event is cancelled for other reasons (lack of participant numbers, for example), full refunds will be provided, of course.
All profits from this event - and all ENDracing events - will help support Ground UP adventures, a local North Dakota non-profit dedicated to bringing adventure to the region's youth and larger communities.