My wife will tell you i can't sit still and she's right. It's not just my body though, it's my mind too. My head is usually full of wonder and new ideas and what-if thought experiments - particulary when i'm inspired by the events and people around me.
And this weekend's event and people were, well pretty darned inspiring. And with all that inspirational energy coursing through my mind and body, i've been pacing and wondering and what-ifing even more than usual.
So what does this mean? It means that things are going to change a little bit for next year's END-WET. It means that i'm going to work harder to better develop the part of the experience that was the most lacking in my mind (the finish line) and to ensure that everyone of you that finishes this race is recieved like a hero.... because really thats what you are.
You see one of the reasons i do this is because we need heros up here. It's a hard thing to sell kids in North Dakota on a life of adventure and endurance and the benefits of physical and mental challenges. You guys are all my ambassadors. You guys are my muses. So when you read what next year's race holds in store, just remember that you are partly responsible....
2014 END-WET details
- Date - TBD. Possibly earlier in the year so water temps are a bit colder and flows a bit higher.
- Start location - Belmont Park/Frog Point (new start location)
- END location - Grand Forks, ND
- # Portages - 0
- Distance - roughly 36 downriver miles
- Time cutoff - TBD, a minimum of 16 hours
- Last 5 miles very spectator friendly
- Improved finish line atmosphere (more spectators, better food, showers, community support, fireworks? live music?)
- Cost - under $300/solo swimmer (includes support), cheaper if swimmer provides support.
- Cap - 40 solo swimmers, 10 relay teams